Friday, June 20, 2008

Dasavatharam…..

I typed the following review of mine last weekend.. Now I am completely confused reading the reviews of several others. Probably I shouldn’t have read before finishing mine… Anyways this is my feel for the movie.



After a big struggle to get tickets I finally got it through my coll mates… Thanks to Balaji (our nattamai) who had arranged for tickets in different locations of the city and maximum people from our class managed to gathered in AVM Rajeswari for the long awaited show. As usual having fun outside the theatre we settled in our seats for the show….

For my surprise our entire bunch screamed only in the opening when Kamal on the screen for the first time. After that everyone was completely engrossed into the movie. Many of us were afraid we might miss something important even if we turn left to give a comment. The movie started with an incident happened in the 12th century. CG was the worst in this sequence. You can feel as if some sticker was pasted over the screen. They should have concentrated on the CG portion here.

Then the story moves to the main plot... Kamal a scientist finds a virus which might kill millions of people easily. His boss tries to sell it. Now Kamal decides to protect his awful invention from affecting the public. The story ends how he destroys the virus and how he uses all his ten avatars in the film. Most of these avatars are introduced just for the sake of the number 10. But I should say they have tried their best to link these characters.

I am not going to talk about the story as you might have heard so much about it. Movie could have been made simpler. I feel it attracts only few targeted audience.

I scored worst in chemistry in my class 12th. I even flunked once or twice in that subject in my school exams. I have never touched a chemistry book in my life after my 12th... you might wonder why the hell I am talking about it. I myself found out NaCl is Sodium chloride and its salt. You find such a big scientist fails to find it. All talk abt NaCl right from bush to corporation worker.

Nothing is told clear may be that is how they wanted to capture the repetitive audience.
Climax CG is good. If they had concentrated little bit on the screenplay rather than the avathars it would have been much better.

Mallika role is short and crisp. Asin irritates you with the core with her perumalae!!!!
Jayapratha just comes and goes. I would have been happy if she had a good dance in the movie.

So in brief, movie can be watched once without ant expectations and removing Kamal from your mind. May be then you might like it to a certain extent.

P.S: The chain mails talking about the movie, comments and reviews in the blogs makes me feel that the guy achieved what he wanted. Everyone should talk about/ it may be positive or negative publicity is always good. No wonder negative publicity always works for him.

3 comments:

Prasanna said...

In one line "High-tech commercial Masala with out any logic (typical tamil villain-hero chasing ) As usual this is an attempt to show his "intellect (????)" to all in a confused manner.His extraordinary effort and acting make this film a success along with help of creating hype by his marketing managers.

As flooded with review i am not writing a review or review about the reviews.
His acting talent has once agin proved .No doubt. Thats it. But ,His fans and admirers are finding ficitious things on connecting with real dasavathars (even himself couldnot find) and scientific theories.
The one good thing i had found which no review captured is krishnaveni(patti)'s emotional scenes with poovragahvan which shot as a poem proves that Love (not confing with ages,especially Mother's)is a blind and could break any barriers including caste,relgion.

somaa, you are getting good at reviewing film by film.reviewing is a art.. ok.
Read more reviews especially from indian express by bharath and enrich your skills of reviewing .. may be one day i could see your name ..
Or
who knows you could create of desgination of reviewing "interesting" and "knowledge enriching" KT sessions happening IT firms..
Wish you all the very best...

Varun said...

hey... ur review was clear abt ur views... but the "NACL"-- thing, u have totally misunderstood... please watch the movie once more to clearly understand every scene.. or try watching many english movies -- u will then know how to pay attention to every detail of a movie,.. :)
cheers...!

Somaasri said...

thanks Varun.....
May be i misunderstood the NaCl stuff...
in tht case the director has failed to explain it in layman's terms.

I will surely watch it again when I find time… Thank u once again….