Monday, November 24, 2008

Whatever Happens Life has to MOVE ON……

This word MOVE ON is personally too painful for me... I hate it…. I dont want to hear it again in my life…till my last breath. Vaaranam Aayiraam also insists the same.

I always prefer watching a movie with an open mind. Like a clean black board. May be that’s why I always wanted to rush to a movie soon after it releases. I don’t read any reviews before watching the movie and also before writing the blog. Before I went for this movie I heard only two comments from many people. They said,’ I liked the movie’ and ‘I don’t like the movie’.

Vaaranam Aayiraam simply says whatever happens life has to move… This is a movie about a son who gets inspired by his dad at every stage in his life. The story is narrated by son surya. We actually see his stages in life and how the father surya supported him at each stage. I felt the bond between father and son was not established that deep. Son had in particular grabbed his father’s love story as a greatest inspiration. Importance is given to the son surya, his love, his failure, his difficulties, his expectations, and his disappointments in life.

All most all the songs were with Sameera Reddy. She looks good in jean than in salwar. My friend Arun also said Gautham’s touch was seen only in the scenes taken in United States. I also felt he was right. Simren though she plays a small role she is as always the best... Divya comes just for the sake of having a heroine.

Army scenes and scenes in which Surya goes in search of the kid is fast and Gautham has carved his niche for it as usual.

Brilliant cinematography… The cinematographer Rathinavel has captured beautiful shot in each and every frame... Either its Kashmir or US or even LIC building it was cool. Music by Harris was kind of ok... You feel you had heard some tunes somewhere in his own composition. Still you don’t feel bored. Lyrics by Thamarai was mindblowing I had only heard words like andadi, tharagai and lot more only in tamil literature. She has really given a feast to tamil lovers as always.

Editing… I still don’t believe it was antony who edited the movie. I am a big fan of him. Still at some places I don’t like his fast cuts. If you see a song you can straight away tell that it was edited by him. This movie doesn’t give a feel that it was edited by Anthony himself. You never felt that the movie was edited. All the best for ur directorial debut too Anthony sir.

Vaaranam Aayiraam is a life story of a person. Gautham’s personal story. Surya has taken over the movie completely. It is his own film. Gautham could have avoided English dialogues and too much of daddy in it... It gave an Anglo Indian feel for me.



Though it had many problems and people didn’t like it much. Technically the movie was mind-blowing. For instance, you can actually feel the difference in both the father and son’s physique. If you had noticed keenly you could feel the father is losing his strength and he also loses his weight and looks terribly weak on his death bed… Body language actually showed the difference... The movie is scripted and planned perfectly by Gautham... Bravo…. I really understand how much of home work the movie had taken. If he even misses to take a single shot it would have been a big problem… Continuity, set, co artist placement were all in proper place especially when both the surya come in the same frame… It made me awe mainly because both the characters would have been shot at different periods to match the physiques… We really have to say Hats off for the work and involvement by the crew as such.

I personally found a few messages in the movie. I don’t know how far others understood.

Whatever happens life has to MOVE ON

Love like mad

Do the craziest stuff in the world

Express yourself clearly

Work hard

Whatever you do, give ur hundred percent

Enjoy every moment in your life.

Don’t hurt others

Respect the next person’s feelings

Be sincere

And what not to……… You can also add points to the list…….

4 comments:

Arun Bose said...

I think you are growing as a good critic with each review writes. Personally i liked this one.

Keep going.

Prasanna said...

I am neither fan of gautham nor surya. But I like them to have drive to give newness. I do not want to much write about the film except one point that’s film’s failure to establish the intimacy between father and son.


Surya has done well in the father character that no doubt. But If some other actors, like praksahraj, nana patker had taken the role , we could have felt the real emotional pitch in the film. In one of my favorite TV program Hasini pesum padam, Gautham told the story behind the scenes of the story.

Actually Gautham planned for approaching nana patkar for fathers role. But surya had repeatedly pressed gautham to get the role for him. Though he initially was reluctant, he made the decision to make surya in fathers character which makes the film goes out of hand from director and made as a portrayal of actor’s (surya) ability to do different roles. Gautham also agreed that he made the changes in the story after surya agreed to do dual role.

This is a good lesson for both . As a good actor(Surya) , he is looking for good characters, but that attempt should not overshadow the core concept of the movie. Directors also should not dilute the concept for the hero sake. Though there are attempts by media to show the movie as ‘hit(?)’, it might be futile.

There is a notable score by Harris Jayaraj and tamarai. Very good chemistry between the lyrics and music. It is good to introduce new singers by harris. But some beautiful songs need more skilful voices for effective reach. In one of the wonderful works (Mundinam) both male and female find it difficult to stay in the high pitch and getting down to saranam instantly.

At the same time, In the new attempt of urbanized folk (anjali) , both singers karthik and Prasanna have done wonderful work. We don’t realize that the song was sung by two singers as in screen hero only sing the song. Applause to lyrist, music director and singers (Hope I could also write a blog on movies, Thanks somaa making me to write such along comment which may be my blog content on entertainment)

Somaasri said...

Hi prasanna, I do accept the fact that it is surya's movie and there is emotional bond between the father and son. It is really easy for people to criticize a film but you should really appreciate the effort and hard work put by the crew. You can tear even the best movie in this world into bits and pieces. That doesn’t mean that given power you can talk whatever u want. It’s very important to use the power appropriately. You need not be biased but you can obviously find 100 ways to tell the negatives subtle.... if u criticize a wasted movie then I admit...

Prasanna said...

oh fine somaa.
I shared my feelings explicitly. Criticizing is not a wrong thing Thats y we are calling film critic not reviewer.
Constructive Criticism should always be carried out.
When you like the person only you could get the right to criticize.
Can i ready to critize the films like aadhi,tirupacchi or aaruu?
The entire talented crew should not waste their talent as fans are expecting more from them. When ever you are more loved you will be first target for Criticism .

Now a days , media is trying to create a scene of particular movie as hit (may be because of their policatical patch) i have mentioned that .I am very firm on my comments.